Saturday, July 7, 2012

What's for Dinner? CHICKEN RANCH TACOS.

Here's a little secret about me: The hunk doesn't love me because I am awesome at cooking. I am not. We eat mainly veggies & sometimes grilled meat & while I've gotten pretty good at cooking veggies, I don't know how to make a lot of "recipes". I'm the queen of grilled, single ingredient vegetables. Garlic, salt & pepper, olive oil....that's about the extent of the ingredients I'm comfortable using.
That said, I am trying to change that about myself. I feel like I can't be the only one out there clueless in the kitchen, so I've decided to introduce a new feature on my blog: "What's for Dinner?" Perhaps you will follow along & maybe learn something new or at the very least, have a good laugh at me trying to not suck at cooking.

Tonight's recipe is CHICKEN RANCH TACOS. These came out absolutely delicious. The ingredients are super inexpensive & the recipe is crazy easy. And the best part? I finally got to use the crock pot my mom gave us a year ago that I've been scared to touch.

SHOPPING LIST:
-2 pounds raw (not frozen) chicken
-1 can of chicken broth (box is pictured, $1 at dollar store. the box is the same as 2 cans, only use half if you buy the box)
-1 pack Hidden Valley Ranch mix
-1 pack taco seasoning (I like Old El Paso)
-Ranch dressing
-lettuce (I prefer to use romaine)
-flour tortillas

DIRECTIONS:
1. Put chicken, chicken broth, taco seasoning, & Ranch mix in the crockpot. Stir. Cook on LOW for 3 hours.
2. Shred chicken. I used my hands to pull the chicken apart. It's so tender it's easy to do. If anyone has a better idea, please share. That's the best plan I could come up with.
3. Put the shredded chicken back in the crock pot & cook on LOW for 30 more minutes. 4. Drain chicken.
5. Assemble tacos: tortilla, chicken, lettuce, ranch. I served them with white cheese dip & blue corn chips & tomatoes from the garden on the side.
6. Thank me later.

Cheers,
Savannah Marie

2 comments:

Robyn said...

use two forks to shred the chicken. :)

Savannah Marie said...

Brillant. Much easier with two forks. Thank you!